Ravenports, what's missing for you?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Jul 5 14:24:06 PDT 2018

So there was a new article released about Ravenports this week:
https://eerielinux.wordpress.com/2018/06/30/ravenports-a-modern-cross-platform-package-solution/

Justin mentioned it on the digest:
"A deep dive into Ravenports"
https://www.dragonflydigest.com/2018/07/04/21485.html

and a related dports topic:
"Some package statistics"
https://www.dragonflydigest.com/2018/07/05/21487.html

So this of course drudged up logical questions about plans for
Ravenports to replace Dports, if, when, etc.

While Ravenports can coexist with Dports, ideally a server can get all
it's packaging needs from one system.  Some people are already using
Ravenports exclusively.  I'm curious to know which packages serious DF
users think is missing -- dealbreakers for moving to ravenports exclusively.

As background, keeping up with syncing dports to ravenports is a
tremendous amount of work and I've reduced that activity to every 3-4
weeks.  A main driver for creating ravenports is because I recognized
how much work fixing the inevitable breakage was becoming.  Personally I
only want to work on one system.  At some point I'll really want to drop
working on dports.

which leaves us with 2 options:
1) someone else takes over dports (it's a huge responsibility)
2) we officially transition to ravenports exclusively.

To make sure your future needs are covered, I'd recommend that you guys
post your requests to
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!forum/ravenports
so I've got them captured.  Even better would be contribute ports
directly (easy if you are already familiar with freebsd/dport maintenance)

Thanks,
John