DragonFly 5.0 released!

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 01:46:10 PDT 2017

DragonFly 5 supports hybrid graphics in the form of 'basic switching'
as explained here

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics

where you have a chip, a mux, that switches between two GPUs. The
drivers vga_switcheroo and apple_gmux take care of this; it has been
tested and works on some models of Apple laptops that have dual
graphics, Intel/NVidia or Intel/Radeon. Note that since DragonFly does
not have a drm driver for NVidia chips, neither the proprietry nor
(yet) the open source one (nouveau), it switches to the Intel GPU by
default. The latter is powerful enough if one does not use graphics
intensive apps; I'm using it for daily work on my laptop with an
1920x1080 external monitor.

DragonFly does not (yet) support the second form of switching,
'dynamic switching' (Optimus for NVIDIA, AMD Dynamic Switchable
Graphics for Radeon). This would require PRIME (in addition to nouveau
for NVidia) to be ported to DragonFly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PRIME

I think it would be an interesting project for the future.

Best

Peeter