DTrace

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 20:33:29 PDT 2017

For clarity, I'm most interested in DTrace because there's extensive
literature on using it effectively, it's supported on 3 platforms,
and if you're careful you can write portable DTrace scripts for
your debug work.

In Linux land they had a plethora of methods in and outside the
kernel, which they seems to be trying to tie together right now,
but it's still multiple "engines" in the kernel. You can either
use some domain specific language that gets compiled down to
BPF bytecode for interpreting in the kernel, or another of the
many solutions. There's no one tool, however imperfect, like
DTrace, which has allowed me to use the same script on macOS
and FreeBSD, and it's probable to work on illumos as well.
I've heard Systemtap has a DTrace compatibility layer, but
I never tried it and last time I read it was recompiling modules
and live-patching the kernel. That sounded really bad.

Anyway, I'm still dreaming that I might use those DTrace
scripts on other platforms as well, someday.