DragonFly 5.0 released!

Jasse Jansson jasse at yberwaffe.com
Wed Oct 18 03:05:22 PDT 2017

On 2017-10-18 09:19, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez wrote:
> Hola Predag
>
> On Tuesday, 17 October 2017, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com
> <mailto:punosevac72 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Gerald Henriksen wrote:
>     > On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 23:41:25 -0400, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>     >
>     > >Only nVidia supports its own product with binary blob drivers.
>     Somebody’s
>     > >have mentioned Nouveau driver in one of the posts. That is
>     beating a
>     > >dead horse.
>     >
>     > Nope.  Nouveau is alive and well.
>     >

>     Who cares? Why are we even talking about stupid proprietary NVidia
>     crap
>     on DF mailing lists at the moment of release of the most advanced file
>     system on the face of the planet?

I haven't seen a comprehensive feature list yet that have convinced me
that H2 will beat ZFS.
I'm going to use ZFS on my servers for a long time coming but that won't
stop me from testing H2 on a spare computer.

> Maybe people who have an older laptop and a) cannot afford buying a
> new one BUT want to continue learning or b) are giving Dragonfly a try
> on a computer and hate obsolescence by SW upgrades. C’on, Ubuntu
> handles these GPUs flawlessly. Why not try to follow their example if
> we want Dragonfly for the masses. And BTW this is not that someone is
> trying to run it on a Sinclair Spectrum ZX81.

The vesa driver is said to work fine.
A couple posts ago there were an argument made that if someone ELSE
ported Nouveau from linux, than magically those with Nvidia gfx chips
suddenly will become contributors.
I think that is a practical implementation of the concept "help vampire".
The compiler is included in the base install.
EOD.

---