Ravenports: How to Get Started?

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Sun May 28 08:07:27 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 1:25 PM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> I hit some snags due to my unfamiliarity with glibc (namely it's
> inability to static link due to dynamic link requirements with NSS,
> libdl, etc) but have that resolved now I think. It also took some
> time to fix some ports to build on linux.

musl libc is available on many Linux distros and there are at least
two distros (void and alpine) where it's the only or optional system
libc.

A ports tree ala pkgsrc that works on Linux and DragonflyBSD sounds
like a great value proposition and bootstrapping musl as a
prerequisite for Ravenports on Linux systems where it's not available
is a simple enough build task that I'd certainly appreciate a musl
based Ravenports. That would make life easier when building stuff
for use on both a glibc and musl Linux distro from one buildhost.

If you like the idea, please consider it in addition or better (less
maintenance work) as a replacement for glibc compatibility.