how to update ports tree and use synth

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Thu May 25 08:29:20 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM, Aaron LI <aly at aaronly.me> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 09:48 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>
>> -=>  Chronology of last build  <=-
>> Started: Wednesday, 24 MAY 2017 at 12:41:01 UTC
>> Ports to build: 562
>>
>> Purging any ignored/broken ports first ...
>> 00:00:06 Sanity check complete. Ports remaining to build: 9
>> 00:00:06 [01] => java/openjdk7
>> 00:00:06 [02] => www/libxul
>> 00:00:06 [03] => devel/llvm39
>> 00:00:06 [04] => www/firefox-esr
>> 00:00:06 [05] => www/chromium
>> 00:00:06 [06] => x11/xorg
>> 00:05:38 java/openjdk7 FAILED!
>>            Skipped: java/icedtea-web
>> 00:05:38 java/openjdk7 failure skips:1
>> 00:05:38 [01] => x11/lumina
>> 00:15:55 www/chromium FAILED!
>> 00:15:55 www/chromium failure skips:0
>> 00:15:55 [05] => x11/qterminal
>> 00:20:11 x11/xorg success
>> 00:21:17 x11/qterminal success
>> 00:48:19 x11/lumina success
>> 01:02:34 www/firefox-esr FAILED!
>> 01:02:34 www/firefox-esr failure skips:0
>> 01:21:00 www/libxul success
>> 01:40:48 devel/llvm39 success
>> Finished: Wednesday, 24 MAY 2017 at 14:21:50 UTC
>> Duration: 01:40:48
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> --  Final Statistics
>> ---------------------------
>>  Initial queue size: 9
>>      packages built: 5
>>             ignored: 0
>>             skipped: 1
>>              failed: 3
>
> Synth provides a better and detailed web report at `/var/log/synth/Report`,
> which may be accessed with a Web Browser at `file:///var/log/synth/Report`,
> then you can check the logs of skipped/failed ports easily.
>
> Some ports may not build with synth, or even broken (though the maintainers
> want to avoid this...).
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Aly

Yes, I looked at the file, but it is empty.  It has index.html, and
some other files.  Machine froze several times, but did complete many
packages.  It built 562 packages or so.   I had to restart the machine
and complete the process.   The file has the following:

Index of /var/log/synth/Report/

NameSizeDate Modified
[parent directory]
01_history.json1.3 kB5/24/17, 9:21:50 AM
favicon.png1.4 kB5/24/17, 7:41:07 AM
index.html4.6 kB5/24/17, 7:41:07 AM
progress.css5.7 kB5/24/17, 7:41:07 AM
progress.js6.6 kB5/24/17, 7:41:07 AM
summary.json874 B5/24/17, 9:21:50 AM
synth.png8.5 kB5/24/17, 7:41:07 AM

There were some failures, chromium, firefox-esr, which showed up
before.   The machine works better feels more snappy when using
compiled packages.  Synth is indeed a great tool.
The school's firewall prevents some packages from updating because it
blocks some software updates, if I check sourceforge, I get error
messages:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

sourceforge.net sent an invalid response.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

or

==========
RGCCISD Firewall
Access Denied

You have attempted to access the following web page:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

Access has been blocked because:

Tru-View has categorised this page as Software Download.

Technology Dept. has deemed access to this web site inappropriate at
this time. Please contact your supervisor if you feel that this is
incorrect.

=======

I was updating some packages and an adminstrator checked what I was
doing and they thought I was doing some spying, hacking or other
malicious activity.  They blocked my machine till they could see that
I was just downloading some software.

I did the pnotes alias in ~/.cshrc to check if there are updates to
the packages.  I did not find any.

Best Regards,

Antonio