QEMU upstream marked DragonFly BSD as unsupported host systems in 2.9 release

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Wed May 17 22:31:36 PDT 2017

Hello DFlyers,

I just noticed from the Phoronix news [1], that QEMU upstream are dropping
supports of some host systems in the 2.9 release [2], and DragonFly BSD
is one of them:

> This release includes changes to the configure script so that it will
> now report some host operating systems and platforms as "unsupported".
> These are host setups which we do not have access to and are thus
> unable to test. They will continue to work in this 2.9 release
> (though configure will warn you about the unsupported status), but
> in a future QEMU release we may drop support for those hosts unless
> somebody volunteers to help us with maintaining them (and can provide
> build/CI machines).

The list of unsupported host systems are:
* ia64 (architecture)
* GNU/kFreeBSD
* DragonFly BSD
* NetBSD
* OpenBSD
* Solaris
* AIX
* Haiku

Note that one of NetBSD developer already volunteered to maintain the NetBSD
support in QEMU.

As far as I known, QEMU may be the only emulator that works well on DragonFly
BSD, therefore, it would be great to have better DFly support in QEMU.
Somebody interested may have a further look at this.

[1] Phoronix: NetBSD Looking to Improve QEMU Support: https://phoronix.com/sca
n.php?page=news_item&px=QEMU-Better-NetBSD
[2] QEMU: Warning of unsupported host systems: http://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/
2.9#Warning_of_unsupported_host_systems
[3] NetBSD maintainer in the QEMU project: https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/n
etbsd_maintainer_in_the_qemu