HAMMER, disk mirroring and secure NFS

Tomohiro Kusumi kusumi.tomohiro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 05:41:26 PDT 2017

You can either directly copy between fses, or you can dump the binary
from one fs to stdout (and redirect it to a file) and later restore.
Both are technically the same thing.

The source fs can be either independent fs or some master PFS within
the fs. This comes from the fact that PFS is technically nothing much
different from the default fs itself. The default fs is actually just
another PFS whose id is 0. The idea of PFS is quite difficult to
understand and there's no good written document either.

In either of above cases, you need the both source and destination to
be already mounted as fs, otherwise you can't copy. It's HAMMER's
internal id number based logical copying, but not
device/partition/dataset/etc based copying.

> Can the mirror copy be accessed/mounted as a separate filesystem and if so, can every file be read file-by-file or can it only be restored as the whole dataset ???

There's no equivalent of ZFS's dataset. The whole idea is quite
different from ZFS even if it has some similarity in its feature.