installer trying to read wrong USB device while boot?

Aaron LI aly at aaronly.me
Tue Jun 13 04:11:42 PDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-13 at 19:50 +0900, Yukimi Conary wrote:
> Hello all.
>
>  Today I tried fresh install again with /
>  "DragonFly-x86_64-20170612-DEV-v4.9.0.309.g2032f7.img"
>  But boot will abort because missing boot device.
>
>  da9 = SanDisk Extreme 32GB USB (Live img)
>  da8 = Toshiba SSD 64GB via USB 3.0 converter (target to install)
>
>  Is this Installer mistake handling with da8 and da9? (see photo)

Hi Yukimi,

I think this is a bug/restriction with the DFly release/image build or boot procedure.

Currently, the release/snapshot images are built with the installation USB stick default/fixed to "da8" [1], and it is therefore set to mount root from "da8s2a".

Therefore should be a method to determine the actually device name (e.g., "da9" here) of the installation USB stick, and make DFly mount root from there accordingly.  Maybe the "initrd" image be the good/right place to implement this feature?

[1] https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DragonFlyBSD/blob/master/nrelease/Makefile#L118
[2] https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DragonFlyBSD/blob/master/nrelease/Makefile#L405

Cheers,
--