State of Rust on DragonFly

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Sun Jul 2 13:59:03 PDT 2017

On 06/29/17 21:18, Carsten Mattner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Zachary Crownover
> <zachary.crownover at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That won't happen unless we have an active maintainer for it with Rust that
>> can get the project to move DragonFly from tier 3 to at least tier 2. I'd
>> like to take an active role in that though.
>
> Cool, and I'd like to encourage you.
>
>> On Jun 29, 2017 9:55 AM, "Carsten Mattner" <carstenmattner at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Great work Michael!
>>>
>>> Please keep it up and ideally get it to the level of FreeBSD so
>>> that we can just use rustup to have all of the versions and
>>> toolchains and targets available. That would be a dream.

That's also my dream. Having continuous builds for DragonFly would be
great to detect breaks. It should be all that hard btw. We were able to
cross build rustc from Linux in the past. That's how it would work.

*State update* I opened up pull requests [1] and [2] to DeltaPorts.
Waiting for jrmarino to merge and/or further comments/change requests
:). So Rust and Cargo should soon be in dports again.

Scripts to build the bootstrap components can be found here [3].

Regards,

  Michael

[1]: https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DeltaPorts/pull/782
[2]: https://github.com/DragonFlyBSD/DeltaPorts/pull/783