Unable to recover hammer volume.

jscottkasten at yahoo.com jscottkasten at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 06:09:18 PST 2017

----- Original Message -----
From: PeerCorps Trust Fund <ipc at peercorpstrust.org>

>It sounds pretty much like its supposed to operate if your file system tree is potentially
>corrupted somehow. You may very well need to copy off the data and recreate the file system. Unless
>of course the underlying block storage has some issues (bad sectors etc.).

That's unfortunately the only thing I've come up with at the moment is to reformat and recopy.  Just wanted to check the collective knowledge before blowing away 2TB of stuff.  :-)

>I do recall there not yet being a way to gracefully fix a "broken" HAMMER file system.

That's kind of what I saw too.  Found lots of comments about collecting data and studying the problem (during various phases of hammer development), but nothing about actually recovering the volume.

>Perhaps I am wrong and someone else will offer more enlightened feedback.

Keeping fingers crossed...

>Out of curiosity when the file system was mounted at boot, did it not fail to mount?
>It seems like it should have been brought back to a consistent state after your reboot.

The file system mounts just fine.  Reports no errors.  It's only when I traverse into an affected folder (I.E. rm -rf *, or rsync ...) that I get this "critical error" and things go read only.  It's some sort of oddly corrupted inode.

>Mike

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
-S-