Software versions in DPorts

Andrea tech_lists at mail.com
Sat Apr 15 03:27:15 PDT 2017

Hi,

> Firefox is at 52.0 in dports right now which came in late march, and in
> 2 days it will be at 53.0 once the stage branch is merged with master.

Thank you. The source of my confusion was that the DPorts chapter of the
handbook, after the instructions about getting the git repository, links
to your github account. I browsed it and the software versions were the
same as the pre-build packages (as an example Firefox is 51.0.1).

> If one can't wait for packages (which are a best effort convenience)
> then one always has the option to build from dports using synth.

Ok, I thought the delay from dports upgrade and the corresponding
package build was just a few days. Since it seem to be much more I'll
use synth (I was already using it on FreeBSD so this is not a problem).

However, shouldn't the handbook link at the end of the installation
instructions point to the github repository cloned with the described
procedure?

Non the link from: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/howtos/HowToDPorts/
points to: https://github.com/jrmarino/DPorts
which in turn redirects to: https://github.com/jrmarino/DPorts-Raven

If I'm not mistaken this is non what is cloned by the described
procedure as the text seem to suggest (at least to me).

Thank you,
Andrea