compile zstd on dfly master

jungle Boogie jungleboogie0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 09:25:39 PST 2016

On 15 November 2016 at 10:39, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
> On 11/15/2016 12:34, jungle Boogie wrote:
>>
>> On 15 November 2016 at 05:37, John Marino <mfl-commissioner at marino.st>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Use the dport /usr/dport/archivers/zstd.  It has existed for months
>>> already.
>>>

>> Sure, great idea, but any idea why sudo gmake install would fail?
>>

> You *do* understand that ports are recipes for how to build things on
> specific platforms?  They "fix" problems with vendor scripts.  It's rare
> that a vendor build file works out of the box without modification.
>
> in a way, ports are a knowledge repository for all these tricks.
>
> You should not be surprised when building yourself results in failure. It's
> very easy to skip requirements or not have valuable fixes.  It's almost
> naive to expect these to work.

I am surprised because a) someone on the github issue downloaded dfly
and built zstd without any issue;
b) zstd built fine on freebsd 11-release

> If you really care about the answer to your question then study the port and
> see what it's doing differently than you, and then you'll understand the
> root problem.

I see only this change:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/archivers/zstd/Makefile?r1=425157&r2=425457

Anyway, thanks for maintaining the port. I'll install the package on dragonfly.