DFly versus PC-BSD on a Laptop

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue May 24 20:08:55 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 6:01 PM, Bernard Mentink <bmentink at gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently I am running PC-BSD on a Sony Vaio Laptop with Gnome desktop and
> it runs quite well.
> I was wondering about re-installing DFly on it instead. Can anyone tell me
> if I am going to get performance increase(i.e better kernel) and faster file
> system with Hammer versus ZFS?
>
> I need to have lot's of incentive to make the move ;)

It'll be fast.  Really fast.  SUPER FAST.  The kernel will have so
many megaflops that the chassis of your laptop will actually start to
vibrate and rise above the surface of your desk, quietly humming.
It'll hover there, causing pens and small children to rattle in the
vicinity, until you reach out with a wondering hand and try to open
the DVD-ROM cause you left your favorite Chet Faker CD in there and
you don't want anything bad to happen to it and then BOOM.

The mere act of brushing against it will upset the careful equilibrium
set by Hammer's rebalancing mechanism, and the raw power unleashed
will cause your laptop to shoot off through the wall of your home,
through the nice fence your neighbor put up last year, and right
through some branches on that odd tree that always takes forever to
pop out leaves each spring, making you suspect it might not be that
healthy but it's not on your property so you can't do much about it.

Your laptop, shooting through space by now, leaves a sort of green
trailing afterimage that persists for several minutes and happens to
match the green in the DragonFly logo *exactly*.

I realize this is a nonsense answer, and hope that you do too.
However, there's no way to tell from what you wrote what model
computer you have, what "speed" it's running at now, what you actually
do with this computer, or if you can configure xorg and a number of
other programs yourself, since PC-BSD does that for you and DragonFly
does not.

Don't take the above items as questions that I want you to answer so
that I can then evaluate your future computer use for you.  Download a
DragonFly image and start it up - it's 'live' and you can try it out,
though it will be somewhat limited.