Study of nginx-1.9.12 performance/latency on DragonFlyBSD-g67a73.

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon May 9 10:40:46 PDT 2016

Very interesting results.  I'm not surprised that lowering the poll rate
improves the results, that's an artifact of scheduling larger batches (as
long as the ring buffer doesn't fill up completely).  It's true for process
scheduling too but usually at the cost of losing interactive responsiveness
which is why schedulers implement hybrid mechanics.

I was surprised that the chipset-rate-limited interrupt mode was so bad
compared to the polling.  I would have expected it to approach polling
effectiveness at the same frequency.  But it clearly doesn't (at least not
at ~7000-8000hz).  If you can program it, could you try a lower chipset
interrupt rate at 1000hz and 4000hz?

-Matt

​