compiling dports with clang

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 07:53:15 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM, John Marino wrote:
> On 3/22/2016 3:15 PM, karu.pruun wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I was trying to compile www/node with clang:
>>
>> # env CCVER=clang36 make install
>>
>> but the result says it's gcc 5.3.1:
>>
>> # objdump -s -j .comment /usr/local/bin/node
>>
>> .GCC: 5.3.1 [DragonFly] Release/2015-12-04
>>
>> while a clang compiled file should say:
>>
>> .GCC: 5.3.1 [DragonFly] Release/2015-12-04.clang version 3.6.2
>> (tags/RELEASE_362/final)
>>
>> What did I miss?
>>

> It's intentionally not supported.  Don't do it.
> (Why would you even want to?)
>
> The ports framework will override any setting of CCVER and as I just
> mentioned, that's intentional.

Thanks. It was just an idle thought that since FreeBSD uses clang,
possibly some of the problems with node might be solved by using clang
for compilation. Currently, around 100+ tests (out of 800+) do not
pass under DragonFly. Many of those pass under FreeBSD. I realize that
most of the issues are not compiler related; eg ps in DragonFly does
not support args etc (submitted a patch recently). But as I said, just
an idle thought.

Peeter