Does anybody care about mono on DF?

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sun Jun 19 10:03:10 PDT 2016

Ever since the version of Mono in ports was upgraded to version 4.x,
it's been a bit of a nightmare for me.  It's extremely unstable when
it's host machine is under contention, such as we see in the pkgbox64
environment.

A log like this happened twice in two days:
http://pkgbox64.dragonflybsd.org/bulk/Release44-default/20160619_024658/logs/errors/mono-4.2.3.4.log

It's not just mono, but any port that is written in c-sharp (or whatever
Mono really is) crashes randomly with these sigaborts.

It's such a pain, I'm seriously considering removing Mono from the
dports tree, along with it's ~48 ports that depend on it.  If somebody
is using mono and/or cares about it, I suggest they "adopt" it and fix
it permanently.  Zrj has spent a lot of time on it as well.

I suspect that nobody is using it and nobody will miss it if we go with
the nuclear option, but I'm posting this just in case that assumption is
wrong.

John