Problem starting X after upgrade to 4.4

Edward Berger edwberger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 06:21:56 PST 2016

I believe this a regression in support for Core2 intel graphics in the
i915.ko drm kernel module, which has made great improvements for more
modern chips.  I have one machine with the same problem which I moved to
using VESA instead with a manually configured xorg.conf.

On this particular machine if I try to kldload i915 the screen goes blank,
the monitor complains, and system is unreachable on network, only
power-cycling brings it back.  I have no idea how to trace the problem
down, and the core2duo desktop hardware becomes more and more obsolete each
day...