Intel driver for X will be updated soon

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Sep 21 10:56:12 PDT 2015

    The intel gpu driver in dports sources and binaries has been frozen
    at 2.99.917 for quite a while.  I froze the driver mainly because the
    X server on my haswell-based workstation has been crashing with the
    newer drivers.

    But the older driver is missing bug fixes that numerous intel GPUs need,
    and we will soon be updating it to at least 2.99.2015.09.09.

    My recommendation is that anyone who experiences X server crashes after
    the update (where the X binary itself crashes, not just things like
    firefox crashes)..  anyone who experiences this issue can try adding
    the following option to their Device specification in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    This specification will change the GPU infrastructure from SNA to XAA
    and does not appear to exhibit the bug:

        Option          "AccelMethod" "XAA"

					<dillon at backplane.com>