Problem with HP Smart Array B120i

Konrad Neuwirth konrad at fimsch.net
Wed Sep 16 05:56:20 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I bought a HP MicroServer (the cheaper one, HP N40l) that contains a RAID controller by the name of HP Smart Array B120i. This device does strange things to DragonflyBSD. I can boot the system fine when there is no volume configured, but then it appears to be diskless. As soon as I configure volumes, the kernel throws an error message very early on, and as the system immediately reboots, I can’t even say what the message contains.

The ultimate goal, of course, is to get the system running. But what could be steps to debug the problem and get there?

Thank you kindly,
 Konrad