Problem with HP Smart Array B120i

Konrad Neuwirth konrad at fimsch.net
Mon Oct 5 04:13:16 PDT 2015

As a follow-up to myself:

> Am 16.09.2015 um 14:56 schrieb Konrad Neuwirth <konrad at fimsch.net>:
> I bought a HP MicroServer (the cheaper one, HP N40l) that contains a RAID controller by the name of HP Smart Array B120i. This device does strange things to DragonflyBSD. I can boot the system fine when there is no volume configured, but then it appears to be diskless. As soon as I configure volumes, the kernel throws an error message very early on, and as the system immediately reboots, I can’t even say what the message contains.

If gotten the system to run. It turns out you can switch the on-board controller from its RAID mode to be just a SATA AHCI controller. With that setting, installing dragonflybsd was actually straightforward. I’m still mostly fond of the system; it’s a neat little package for a very low price.

Greetings,
 Konrad