USB scanner device support

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:59:08 PDT 2015

Matthias Play wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has scanner support been dropped in the past?
>
> My scanner is not recognized, the kernel message is:
>
> May 17 14:26:55 MisterX kernel: ugen3.2: <Canon> at usbus3
> May 17 14:26:55 MisterX root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x04a9 product
> 0x2206 bus uhub3
>
> I have a Canon N 650U scanner and want to be able to scan using my
> DragonFly installation.
>
> What are my options to get it running?
>
> Regards
> Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I don't use DF on the desktop but I just checked /etc/sane.d on my
OpenBSD 5.7 with the following version of sane-backend

predrag at oko$ pkg_info sane-backends
Information for inst:sane-backends-1.0.24p2

Quick greping reveals that the specific product is missing.

predrag at oko$ grep 0x04a9 *
canon630u.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x2204
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1601
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1602
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1603
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1604
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1606
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1607
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1608
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1609
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x160a
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x160b
canon_dr.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x2222
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x2213
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x221c
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x2228
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1904
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1909
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1905
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1906
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1907
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x190a
genesys.conf:usb 0x04a9 0x1906

If I was you I would try editing canon630u.conf which is on your machine
probably located in

/usr/local/etc/sane.d/

usb 0x04a9 0x2206

After you add it reboot the machine and give it a try. If that doesn't
work try editing canon_dr.conf with the same line and reboot.

I checked sane-backends page and your scanner indeed appears to be
supported

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html#S-CANON-DR

IIRC that is one of those cheap scanners without power supply just using
USB to power up. Those are really iffy on any system. For the record
I have been using Epson Perfection 1670 which requires firmware for the
past 8 years on OpenBSD and I couldn't be happier.

Best,
Predrag