AsRock Vision3D 137D, NVidia GeForce 425 (X server conf)

George g.lister at nodeunit.com
Tue Mar 10 07:50:33 PDT 2015

On 15-03-10 10:16 AM, karu.pruun wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:11 AM, George wrote:
>> So these are just wrappers, my bad:
>>
>> gox at x140e:~/Downloads/FreeBSD/NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86_64-346.47$ find . -name
>> "*.c"
>> ./src/nvidia_acpi.c
>> ./src/nvidia_subr.c
>> ./src/nvidia_pci.c
>> ./src/nvidia_linux.c
>> ./src/nvidia_ctl.c
>> ./src/nvidia_os.c
>> ./src/nvidia_sysctl.c
>> ./src/nvidia_dev.c
>> ./src/nvidia_os_registry.c
>> ./src/nvidia_i2c.c
>> ./src/nvidia_os_pci.c
>>
>> OK I see it is a no go I shall stick to VESA and play around with the config
>> a bit more.
>> Cheers,
>> George
>
> I ran into this a while ago when looking for an nvidia driver.
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/xorg-vesa-driver-massive-speedup-using-mtrr-write-combine.46723/
>
> It's a thread in FreeBSD forums and I thought it'd be fun to try it on
> DragonFly but haven't got a moment.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peeter
>
> --
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the note but after some more fiddling I could not get anything
  better than 1600x1200 with bad fonts and weird widgets when you are
  used to the way it is supposed to be this is too much to swallow. So I
chickened out and put FreeBSD on the driver stuff from NVidia just works
  everything looks great, while setting up the HP stuff I found an issue
with something called hp-systray which was probably the cause of the
horrible uninterrupted noise coming out of my fan (infinite loops running
somewhere) so overall for a desktop I am sticking to FreeBSD. I will come
back to DragonFly for a server or when I get some hardware that is actually
working out of the box.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Cheers,
George