RAID Controller

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:45:08 PST 2015

Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at sigpipe.cz> wrote:

> # punosevac72 at gmail.com / 2015-02-28 18:18:39 -0500:
> > Alex wrote:
> > > Would a LSI Logic SAS1064e RAID Controller (IBM Server X3200) be usable
> > > with DragonFly?
> >
> > Garbage! I would not use on any OS.
> >
> > http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSIFusionMPT
>
> hmmm, that page does not support the "Garbage!" stance (lack of RAID10
> breaks the deal with me but does not make the product "garbage").
>
> can you elaborate?

Have I said anything about RAID10? I said that the RAID controller is
garbage. That means that firmware has bugs which caused loss of data on
several of our production machines which run Red Hat. That means that
monitoring HDD with SMART through that RAID controller is hit and miss
on Red Hat in particular with FreeBSD when I tested (I have not used DF
on such hardware). I suspect that chip is also poorly designed but since
I am not electrical engineer don't take my word for it.

Cheers,
Predrag

P.S. I prefer RAID 10 over RAID 6 so you are barking at the wrong tree:)