ahci0.4: Transient Errors: 40<PCS> (7)

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Tue Jun 30 09:50:18 PDT 2015

If you get PCS errors during moderate or heavy disk I/O it means there is
probably too much electrical cross talk or noise on the SATA link.
Probably a cabling issue.  Either the cable is not shielded or the cable is
going through an enclosure connector and not directly connected to the
drive.  Sometimes sub-stanadard motherboards have cross talk on the traces
(though it is rare).  Sometimes sub-standard hot-swap bay enclosures have
similar issues. More likely the cable is not shielded.  If it is a mobo
issue you can try connecting the cable to a different SATA connector.

Transient PCS errors are fairly serious if they occur at times other than
when you are inserting or removing a drive from a hot swap bay.

-Matt