Graphics Support

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Mon Jul 20 15:43:59 PDT 2015

You might be able to disable the nvidia card in the BIOS or change the
display priority to the internal haswell gpu.  If you can disable the
nvidia card entirely that might de-confuse the drivers sufficiently.

Safe mode shouldn't be any different from normal mode unless you are doing
extra module loads in your/boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.local.

Unfortunately we're working of bits and pieces of information here.  It
looks like the kernel sees two vga devices and agp is able to attach to one
of them.  X should be able to attach to the one agp found.  If it isn't,
you may be able to force it in your xorg.conf in the "Device" section by
specifying the BusId of the haswell gpu and forcing the intel driver.  It's
usually device 0:2:0 on the PCI bus:

    BusId "PCI:0:2:0"
    Driver "intel"

Try that.  Boot verbose and save the *entire* dmesg output to pastebin.
Don't preload the i915kms or drm kernel module.  Try starting X directly
with 'startx' from a root prompt.

ssh in from another box so, presumably it hasn't crashed, you can then
access the /var/log/Xorg.0.log after starting X and put that entire file on
pastebin as well.

Maybe we can figure out a workaround to at least get the haswell gpu
operational.  If it were haswell alone it probably would just work.

-Matt