Booting from PCIe SSD

Matthew Dillon dillon at backplane.com
Tue Jul 7 20:39:06 PDT 2015

The pure PCI-e flash cards (PCIe card with flash on-board) require a driver
that we have not ported.  FreeBSD has a driver but we haven't ported it
yet.  If you have enough SATA ports and are simply lacking bay space, you
can get a 2.5" hot-swap mount that goes into a PCI slot (just screws into
the machine, doesn't actually use the slot pins) which would give you a
2.5" port in the back of the machine.

I don't recommend port multipliers.

There are PCIe SATA cards that offer more internal or external SATA ports.
We support some of the silicon image cards based on the SIL3132 chip.
Those are fairly old but work fine.

-Matt