Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sun Jul 5 02:26:34 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 06:28:48PM -0400, Todd Hoover wrote:
> Using RELEASE 4.2.1, please is there any advice or thought about having the Intel video load.  The xorg log I see both the Intel and VESA drivers are loaded and VESA is used.  This is the CPU of the computer which is valleyview Bay Trail (in a year 2014 asus netbook):
>
> hw.model: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU  N2830  @ 2.16GHz

Sadly, the i915 driver cannot be currently used with Baytrail/Valleyview
GPUs due to a dependency on the agp driver.

On Linux, there is no need to use the agp driver anymore but we're not
there yet.

There are two ways to fix this:
- add Baytrail/Valleyview support to agp(4)
- Fix the drm/i915 driver to make it work without agp(4)

The second option is obviously the best one but could take longer to
implement.

--
Francois Tigeot