Installation Questions

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Tue Jan 6 04:38:47 PST 2015

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 04:53:58 +0100, Predrag Punosevac
<punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few installation related questions. Please feel free to point
> me to a manual pages.
>
> 1. I see that it is possible to set up PXE server from the installer. Is
> there a way to have fully unattended installation of DF? I am thinking
> in my head of a scenario in which one has to install multiple identical
> data storage machine which will have just different LAN IPs and
> hostnames.

Check out rconfig(8). It seems to be made for such kinds of tasks, but I
haven't used it yet. There are scripts for various scenarios (normal
install, LVM striped, encrypted, etc.) for it in
/usr/share/example/rconfig. Hope that helps.

> 2. I see that during the regular installation I am not allowed to use
> special characters for root or for that matter user password. For
> example I can't use character @. However once I am done installation I
> have no problem changing root or any other password in anything I like.
> Is there a logic behind this which I am missing?

Yeah this is a limitation of the way how the installer sets the password.
We should somehow fix this.

> 3. I played with installer back and fourth and I might be missing this
> one. Namely I would like to be able to install DF on UFS RAID 1 or even
> better have hammer mirror of the installation disk onto a second disk.
> Now in the second scenario one obvious problem is that hammer mirror is
> read only. I don't see any options how to do this from installer. Is
> this supported at all?

The installer does not yet support this out of the box, I'm afraid.

Sascha