contributing to dports

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Sat Aug 1 08:26:56 PDT 2015

On 8/1/2015 3:09 PM, Marco Righele wrote:
> * If my patch touches a file already modified by a FreeBSD patch in
> files/, is it ok to use the same
>   name ? (I'm thinking in the case the new patch could be used upstream).

There are no name clashes because the dports patch goes in the
"dragonfly" directory and it's applied after the patches in the files
directory.

I suggest that you try "make patch", then go to the
(or genpatch) utility in /usr/dports/ports-mgmt/genpatch in order to
create a properly formatted patch.  In the case you outline, there
should be an ".intermediate" extension which indicates it's a patch to
an already patched file.

> * Is there a quick way to apply the modification to a single port from
> DeltaPorts to dports ?
>   Following all the steps in scripts/generator/README seems overkill if
> one just need to
>   submit a few patches (and I would like to be able to test the result
> before submitting the pull request)

Somebody has to put it in deltaports.  If you submit it to dports then
you are in effect asking somebody else to adapt it to deltaports.  So
"quick" is relative.  It might be quick for you, but a huge burden for
the person trying to incoporate it.  And they'd try tricks like "replace
patch in files with this one".  That won't fly.

tldr; no, there's no quick way.  I thas to get in the layer somehow.

John