Disruption of master from dports/packages coming in a few days

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Wed Apr 15 02:09:40 PDT 2015

On 4/15/2015 11:01, Robin Hahling wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2015 10.30:09 John Marino wrote:
> [SNIP]
>> Concurrently, the dports source tree will be updated with changes that
>> cause gcc50 to start building all the ports.  Anybody that is building
>> from source will need to remove all packages and rebuild them with the
>> latest source tree.  If that doesn't sound appealing then just update
>> the ports tree right now and don't update it anymore.  It will continue
>> to use gcc47 to build in that case (I think).
>
> Why remove all packages prior to rebuilding them? I guess one can simply use a
> tool like portmaster and do
>
> 	portmaster -af

In my opinion, anyone using portmaster is in the category of "Don't come
crying to me when something blows up".  Portmaster is NOT actively
maintained and anyone using it is asking for trouble.  I've never
publicly mentioned this tool and I'm comfortable actively discouraging
its use (portupgrade too).

Secondly, you need to rebuild everything because you should not mix
packages built on two different world bases.  Trying to troubleshoot any
resulting issue is not going to be worth it.  Just wipe everything out
and rebuild and potentially save yourself from serious problems.

I iterate that updating the dports tree is not required -- just say on
the current tree until the release if rebuilding everything is not
desired (and simultaneous binary packages are not wanted).

John