Installation of DragonFly 4.0.0 RC

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 05:44:34 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Sascha Wildner <saw at online.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:25:00 +0100, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
> m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I should download a new snapshot because without Dragonfly BSD Internet
>> connection I can not apply any change and , I do not know Dragonfly BSD to
>> make such updates .
>>
>> I do not know which snapshot will contain the changes in
>>
>>  http://mirror-master.dragonflybsd.org/snapshots/x86_64/
>>
>> directory .
>>

> It seems the box building our snapshots has issues right now, so I built
> you an image which has all fixes you should need (it's current master
> source).
>
> Please try http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~swildner/dfly_with_mos.img.xz
>
> The adapter should attach upon plugging in and the network device to use
> (for dhclient for example) is ue0 then.
>
> Please tell me if there are problems.
>
> Sascha

Dear Sascha ,

During writing .img to USB stick , it took very long time without reaching
to completion .
With a hope , I recorded it to a DVD , fortunately , it took very short
time for recording and it worked for installation .

During install boot , it recognized "Moschip Semiconductor" in USB port .

During "Assign IP Address" configuration menu , the following names are
listed :

em0
fwe0
lp0
faith0       ( If it is possible , please display explanatory names for
these short forms , for example ,
lo0             < em0 >    : Intel Gigabit .... etc.  )
ppp0
sl0
Cancel

By assumption , I have selected "fwe0" for USB NIC , and assigned to it
"DHCP" .
On fear of this is not correct , selected "sl0" for USB NIC , and assigned
to it "DHCP" .

During reboot of installed system , the last sentences were

The operating system has halted .
Please press any key to reboot .

Due to a crash ( or not accepting USB key board key presses ) , it become
"Reset" the computer .

On boot , again it recognized "Moschip Semiconductor" in USB port .

It listed many messages about "dhclient : sl0 not found" .

USB NIC is connected to an ADSL router , but ping is not working to reach
to ADSL modem :
"There is no route to host"  :  "192.168.1.1"

>From ifconfig , it seems that IPv6 is used ( this is my guess ) , but ADSL
modem is using IPv4 .
Also , ifconfig for "fwe0" is NOT listing the detected DHCP server IP .
>From sl0 related "dhclient ... not found" , messages , and missing such
messages for "fwe0" , it seems that "fwe0" is finding a DHCP source .

When ifconfig is entered , it listed "fwe0" with
ether 02:90:27:f3:10:37 , but Linux is listing it as 00:00:00:00:8c:76
which I think Linux value is correct because all other operating systems
are giving the second MAC address .

When USB NIC is disconnected , DragonFly listed it as "disconnected"

Entry of ifconfig is listing "fweo" again although it is disconnected (
Linux is NOT listing it after disconnection ) .

When USB NIC is reconnected , it is listed as "connected" .

There is another USB NIC : Digitus Gigabit Network USB Adapter : DN-10150-1

When this USB NIC is connected , it is listed as " < SMSC > connected" .

ifconfig output is not changing .

When this USB NIC is disconnected , it is listed as " < SMSC >
disconnected" .

My experience is as the above .

You can supply more images , but , if it is possible for you , please make
them .iso because K3B is using them more easily .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk