PostgreSQL 9.3 benchmarks

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Wed Mar 12 09:06:23 PDT 2014

On 3/12/2014 16:42, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Every 6-8 months or so, someone benchmarks PostgreSQL on FreeBSD,
> usually on massively-multi-core machines (32+ cores/threads).  And those
> graphs almost always show increases in performance with each release of
> FreeBSD (default install), and larger increases with small changes to
> sysctls and PostgreSQL config.
>
> Searching through the archives for the -stable and/or -current mailing
> lists should pull up the configuration details.
>
> ​This Google search shows several threads from 2011, 2012, and 2013 on
> this subject (including graphs comparing FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, and Linux):
>https://www.google.ca/search?q=freebsd+postgresql+benchmark
>
> --

Okay, I so followed your link and picked this one from the search results:
http://www.bsdcan.org/2013/schedule/attachments/242_BenchmarkingFreeBSD.pdf

So that's 2013, and clearly tons of good work has gone into producing
the slide deck.

However, it's a 4-core machine he used.  It seems to me that this
hardware is apples to oranges to what Francois used.  Am I wrong?  Is
there a better, more recent benchmark from FreeBSD with a more
comparable machine?

John