porting virtualbox or qemu-kvm

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Jun 24 21:03:49 PDT 2014

> important but think that one should be very careful committing such a
> tiny resources to any non essential project.
>
> VirtualBox is a toy and as such has limited useful value beyond running

this toy is actually much better than other "non-toy" virtualizers.
According to my tests and current usage.

> Windows instance on your desktop so that you can use IE to verify if the
> web software you just developed works for your customers. We run it in
> our lab for exactly such purposes. Building VirtualBox on FreeBSD is a
> pain in the rear end and I could not think of a single advantage of
> running VirtualBox on FreeBSD as oppose to native Linux platform (in
> particular in the light of your earlier comments about ZFS).

I run virtualbox under FreeBSD.

> KVM is much more useful but acceleration is Linux kernel specific. I

this is the only reason i don't use qemu-kvm. Because it runs only under
linux.

All is fine to just set up linux based computer to run it. But only when
you make large scale installation for say - "cloud computing" services,
but not if you do one server per office and want everything to run on one.

As i already said the only reason i still run FreeBSD is lack of virtual
machine software.