DragonFly 3.8 released!

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Jun 6 00:23:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 06, 2014 at 08:54:11AM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> On 6/6/2014 04:04, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 3. What is the long term strategy for PF or for that matter any firewall
> >> solution on DragonFly having in mind that PF is not really portable
> >> peace of software.
>
> Purely as a guess, I'd the candidates would be support FreeBSD's pfsense
> or NetBSD's npf.  I don't know where the latter stands, and both a
> probably a tremendous amount of work, but less that updating PF.  This
> is another one of those tasks that really needs doing but nobody is
> personally interested to do.

My impression is that NPF is vaporware.
If I'm not mistaken, the new PF in OpenBSD 5.5 is also the only open-source
firewall system capable of handling NAT64. I'll tend to favor it just for
that reason.
I won't be doing that work though.

> >> 4. Any plans with NFSv4?
> >
> > Nobody is working on it currently that I know of.
> I haven't heard of anyone doing it either.

This is a question I'm hearing more and more; NFSv4 should be a priority IMHO.
I had started to put a GSoC proposal online for it on the DragonFly wiki two
years ago but it has since been vandalized.

Look at the end of this page:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/ikiwiki.git/blob/d8f691bbdab4cabee9d88e2c2853b9f6242cb30e:/docs/developer/gsocprojectspage/index.mdwn

--
Francois Tigeot