Supermicro MBD-A1SAi-2550F

Roman Neuhauser neuhauser at sigpipe.cz
Mon Jun 23 08:35:41 PDT 2014

# justin at shiningsilence.com / 2014-06-21 17:46:24 -0400:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser at sigpipe.cz> wrote:
> > having just bought a Supermicro MBD-A1SAi-2550F motherboard[1]
> > i proceeded and failed to boot 3.8.1 and 3.8.0 from several
> > different USB sticks.  FreeBSD-10.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img
> > boots normally.
> >
> > the system hangs on exit from the F1/F5 menu (boot0 i believe?).
> >
> > PXE should work but i still prefer having a means of booting
> > from a USB stick.  what can i do to help fix this?
> >
> > [1] http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/atom/x10/a1sai-2550f.cfm
>
> Try the 3.6.3 image - we switched USB to a new version between now and
> then.  If it does work, immediately upgrade to 3.8 and see what
> happens.  If it still has problems, we can hopefully get more
> debugging info from a fully installed system.

as i mentioned in another email, 3.6.3 img suffered from the same
problem; 3.8.1 *iso* boots ok when i mount it using the vendor-provided
IPMI client[2].

now, before i get to boot-debugging-related questions... i was planning
to run a software RAID1 on the two SSDs i have in the machine, however,
the system presents them as da{0,1}, and natacontrol shows nothing.
do i have another option besides buying a controller card?  i want to
use HAMMER for the whole thing, if it makes any difference.

[2] ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/utility/SMCIPMITool/Jar/SMCIPMITool_2.8.1_jar_20140319.zip

--
roman