DragonFly support in Go

Brad Fitzpatrick bradfitz at golang.org
Fri Jan 17 09:57:02 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 9:45 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:

> On 1/17/2014 18:33, Brad Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > FYI...
> >
> > There's currently a discussion on the Go mailing list (golang-dev) about
> > removing DragonFly BSD support from Go.
> >
> > Per our porting policy
> > (https://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/wiki/PortingPolicy) we need a port
> > maintainer and a continuous builder bot (which can be on EC2 if somebody
> > actively maintains it).
> >
> > Go currently supports Linux, Windows, OS X, {Free,Net,Open}BSD, Plan 9
> > (mostly), Solaris (as of recently), etc.  The DragonFly code has never
> > had a builder at http://build.golang.org/ and is reportedly currently
> > broken.
> >
> > Please contact me and/or golang-dev if you're interested and qualified.
> >
> > Worst case we remove it for now but somebody here resurrects it later
> > from history.
> >

> Hi Brad,
> Where is the broken report coming from given that there is no builder?

It was just reported by Aram Hăvărneanu today.  I haven't tried and don't
use DragonFly.

If you'd like to test its current state:

$ hg clone https://code.google.com/p/go
$ cd go/src
$ ./all.bash

... will build & run the tests.

> If somebody steps up to maintain the port, would the EC2 instance be
> provided by golang.org?

We probably could add a VM or two to our existing EC2 bill.

>  It might be a moot point because I am not sure DragonFly runs in an EC2

instance.  I know Colin Percival did a major effort to get FreeBSD to
> run in it, and I haven't heard any DragonFly person doing something
> similar.  Could it equally be hosted on one of the dragonflybsd.org
> blade servers?

It could be anywhere with network. We've had or have builders on
re-purposed Android tablets, under stairwells, on every imaginable ARM dev
board, on desks at companies on their guest wifi, on physical machines, on
a bunch of cloudy VM things, etc.

Once make.bash passes sufficiently to give you a "go" command to let you
compile Go programs, you build the Go build bot worker program and it runs
forever, polling work from and reporting results to build.golang.org.
 We'll just have to give you a key that you put in a file on the builder,
for authenticating to the build master.