Enabling DBUS in VmWare Fusion vm shows VMWare + DragonFly BSD is not so great.

karu.pruun karu.pruun at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 22:54:38 PST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Warren Postma wrote:

> The same bug that this person reports here is happening to me:
>
> http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/1880
>

> The system boots up until DBUS starts, then about 300 mSec later,
> I get this:
>
> ata1: FAILURE - oversized DMA transfer attempt...
>
> The same message occurs for several other devices,
> including acd0.
>
> I can boot to safe mode and remove this, but as X.org relies on dbus
> this makes a VMWare Fusion 5 + X11 + DragonFly BSD unusable.
>
> Since this bug was reported in 2010, I'm guessing nobody knows how to
> fix this or why this is broken?
>
> I suppose the minimal workaround is for me to manually configure my
> mouse and screen in X.org, but attempts to do this also lead nowhere
> (black screen).
>
> Warren

This is not to solve the problem but I'd like to point out that DragonFly
3.6 works fine on Virtualbox. I just installed xfce4 using dports
(---thanks to the amazing work by John Marino!---) a few days ago, and on
an i5 box it's pretty fast; even compositing works. The only drawback is
that virtualbox gives you a vesa card which limits you to a resolution
1280x1024.

By the way, fonts look much better when you use infinality patches to
freetype2

http://www.infinality.net/blog/

Unfortunately the latest release is for freetype2-2.4.12, so I ended up
building a package using dports src and force-installing it back on the
system every time pkg upgrades it to the new version 2.5, which happens
every time when you install a package.

Cheers,

Peeter