Cannot install xorg on dfly-x86_64-4.0.1_REL

Aero 9000 mbg11665 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 06:09:36 PST 2014

/var is too small according to pkg.

Virtual machines are a great thing. Ideal for experimenting and learning. I
have erased the whole thing and tried a new setup, this time with a 2G /var.
At the very first time I had gone with the defaults of the installer, but
that created only a 256M /var. I had subsequently set up the system for a
second time with a 1G /var, but apparently that still wasn't enough. Now
with a 2G /var it pkg has all the working space it needs to download
packages and set up xorg and KDE.

Quite odd, the 109M gap between the results of du -sh . (in /var) and du
-h, disappeared after a reboot. I can't recall ever having had something
like this in Linux, so in DragonFlyBSD I hadn't expected this behaviour at
all. Like a dejavu of Windows -- to make it work, reboot.

I think we can close this thread now.

Best regards and thanks to all who pitched in.