Filesystem question

Pierre Abbat phma at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Sun Dec 21 15:28:58 PST 2014

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 06:18:02 nans_nans1 at yahoo.de wrote:
> Many thanks your for your replies.
>
> I already read the man-page but i don't understand it at all and i didn't
> found the command "hammer prune-everything" on dragonflybsd.org
> documentation.

See the man page for hammer. It's long. prune-everything is somewhere in
there.

Don't run hammer prune-everything on a filesystem with snapshots. Instead, make
it snapshot more often. A few months ago I had to read my mail on my DF box
because my laptop was being repaired. I managed to get Kmail working (I had to
change what database back end Akonadi was using, IIRR) and the process of
reading all the mail headers filled the disk. So I changed the hammer config to
snapshots 1h 60d
prune     1h 5m
rebalance 1h 5m
dedup      1h 5m
reblock   1h 5m
recopy    30d 10m
and ran "hammer cleanup" every few hours. That got rid of all the tiny files
and changes to files that the download process was filling the disk with.

Pierre
--
La sal en el mar es más que en la sangre.
Le sel dans la mer est plus que dans le sang.