New drm/i915 modesetting code available for testing

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Thu Aug 7 00:57:30 PDT 2014

Hi,

I have updated the drm/i915 modesetting code to be similar to the big
rewrite Intel people did two years ago.

Among the changes, we get better video output detection, more robust
modesetting and DPMS support and most importantly, support for Haswell
hardware.
Haswell is different from previous GPU generations and uses new "DDI"
interfaces to drive its video outputs.

Daniel Vetter, one of the Intel i915 developers has written a short blog
entry on this subject:
http://blog.ffwll.ch/2012/08/new-modeset-code.html

The code is available as a patch on top of the DragonFly master branch:
http://dl.wolfpond.org/patch-drm_i915_new_modesetting.txt

Or as a git branch on leaf:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~ftigeot/dragonfly.git/shortlog/refs/heads/drm_i915_modeset

Since the set of differences is massive, I'm interesting in some feedback
from people using i915 hardware before pushing this code to -master.

--
Francois Tigeot