kdm in a loop

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Fri Apr 4 09:51:30 PDT 2014

On 4/4/2014 18:20, Ludo Beckers wrote:
> <Are you editing /etc/rc.conf?
>
> I would like to but can't in fail safe mode, right?
> I just don't see how I can login otherwise.
>
> <... activate them manually, e.g. /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus enable
>
> same problem there.

I am afraid to ask why you are an a "fail safe" mode.
I thought you had already installed DF on a real machine and were
logging in at after it booted.  (You didn't leave the installer disk in
the drive, right?)

If you are logging in as root from a normal boot, you should have no
trouble editing rc.conf.

> <... read the FreeBSD handbook for desktop environments
> instructions: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x11-wm.html
>
> I used this as a guide: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/newhandbook/X/

Unfortunately, that is obsolete.  It's back from pkgsrc days.
Our man pages are great.  Our handbook?  it's terrible. <sorry>

> Stuff like this: "KDE 4 requires that procfs(5)
> <http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=procfs&sektion=5> be mounted"
> makes me regret I installed KDE also, since I get the feeling one has to
> be half an expert before anything can be achieved - even a basic install.
>
> I should've tried xfce first - all this is really discouraging.
> Sorry about the negativity but it has literally given me a headache - a
> rare thing for me.

Well, I agree xfce is a better starting choice.
And I would use the FreeBSD handbook.

Sorry about the headache.
I wish better documentation existed -- or that bad documentation like
you found was deleted or hidden better.

John