squid3 smp problem

k simon chio1990 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 18:58:29 PDT 2013

Hi,lists,

    A squid developer answered similar question.

<quote>
> how can we adjust the path where squid stores the ipc files for the
> coordinator and kids? it is /path/to/squid/var/run/squid. this is
> because we used -prefix="/path/to/squid" . but also we have used
> -prefix we want to have the files in other dirs. with (nearly) all we
> can adjust the locations in squid.conf and use the full/other path,

The OS determines where/what the SHM path descriptor has to be. We like
to follow the FHS specification since these are special networking
*socket* descriptors not "files". That may or may not permit your
--prefix to apply on the path, but we do not allow localization.
</quote>

   I didn't know much about IPC.  In the past years I run some squid box in SMP mode with freebsd and linux, and I noticed that squid block the IO in the peak time every day,    iostat displays IOPS cannot exceed 250/s, even though in some test I can get 1000/s  when I run "tar xf ports.tgz" without any other load.
   Yesterday I ran squid with aufs store in single process mode on dflyBSD, and observed the IOPS can touch 500/s sometimes. It's so amazing, so I want give more test with squid in SMP mode.