Minimal installation

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Nov 28 06:38:54 PST 2013

On 11/28/2013 12:02, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a rather uncommon request. I'm thinking about making a fairly
> small dragonflybsd install image for our production servers. I'm sure
> that it doesn't need the compiler tool chain or a lot of other
> things; but does anyone here have a good idea of how to go about
> finding out what tools I need and what tools I don't need? Coming
> from NetBSD, there was that little base & etc set that could get the
> system going – but I don't really have a reasonably good idea how to
> go about this.

You can look look in "man 5 make.conf" to see all the build switches.
You can reduce the size of build with make.conf variable like:

NO_GAMES (skips games building)
NO_GCC44 (skips building 2nd compiler)
NO_BINUTILS221 (skips building 2nd set of binutils)
NO_GDB
NO_CVS
NOPROFILE (skips building profile libs)

on and on.

There's no way to skip building both compilers, but I guess you could
manually remove it after the fact.  Just install in a DESTDIR, pick out
anything you don't want and package the rest I guess.

John