openldap authentication on DragonFly BSD

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 17:57:56 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM, Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I was wondering if somebody could point me to documentation explaining
>> how to configure DragonFly BSD to authenticate its users vis LDAP
>> server. I will briefly describe LDAP requirement.
>

> DragonFly compiles /bin and /sbin as static binaries, which is good if
you are worried about a problem making /usr unavailable. However, nss/pam
assume you have dynamic binaries and use that to load libraries, so that
can't be used - yet.  There's been some discussion of it previously,
including today on IRC #dragonfly, and some work there, but it isn't yet
set up.

> I may have some of the details wrong - someone can correct me if so.  I
could certainly use it.

I can't comment on the correctness, but this is one thing I kind of thing
OpenBSD gets right with their login_* framework: rather than link against
something, just use a separate binary to do the authentication.  PAM always
struck me as a solution looking for a wrong problem.

        - Dan C.