"mini roadmap" for userland for 3.7-dev branch

John Marino dragonflybsd at marino.st
Thu Nov 21 04:49:33 PST 2013

On 11/21/2013 12:52, Antonio Huete Jimenez wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> As I've previously stated, I don't think a roadmap is something
> desired,

I think we've seen immediate response from USERS that this is something
desired.

> i.e. people should work on whatever areas they want, and not
> be "forced" to complete a roadmap.

So you mean that you don't think DEVELOPERS want a roadmap.  Even that
with that caveat, I doubt that's the actual case.

> All in all, this is an free collaboration project as far as I know it.

Having a set of stated goals, either at a per-branch or project level is
not going to force anyone to do something they don't want to do.  If
this person wants to work on something different, how is he being
stopped from requesting it be added to the roadmap?  If his contribution
is deemed unworthy of being on the map, maybe that's valuable feedback
for him or her.

> However, we could create tickets in the tracker with the "hot items"
> so that anyone wanting to do the work can pick it up in a easy way,
> and work of them if desired.

Yes, because that has worked so well in the past with the similar lists
we already have on the project page.  Not to mention the bug tracker is
not exactly "front and center".

I took the initiative to write down a list of things that *I* think
should be accomplished in the next 6 months and that I will probably try
to accomplish if nobody helps.  However, I'm thrilled if somebody wants
to take any of these tasks off my hands.  Not only does it free me up,
but we might discover new regular contributors which the project needs
to be healthy.

Silent anarchy has no benefit over listed goals.

John