Tunnel setup: what happens when my IPv4 address changes?

Pierre Abbat phma at bezitopo.org
Tue Jun 18 22:25:48 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 22:56:24 Chris Turner wrote:
> On 6/10/13 10:54 PM, Pierre Abbat wrote:
>  > How do I write this line so that it works even if I get a
>  > different address?
>
> You might want to use the /etc/start_if.ifname and
> /etc/stop_if.ifname mechanism instead of the
> defaults provided by rc.conf (see also /etc/network.subr),
> or possibly look at customizing your 'dhclient-script'
> to do the configuration for you when you receive new dhcp leases.
>
> a pain, yes. but also highly customizable.

Sounds good, but I don't know what's being set wrong. And until bug 2425 is
fixed, I can't set gif0 that way. I get a new address once a year or so; the
last time was when I switched to the DFly box, and the time before that was
when someone dug next to the cable when fixing water pipes.

> For pf - you should be able to use address aliases (not sure
> if term correct) I don't have the syntax handy but basically
> this allows you to use the interface name in a rule instead
> of an address - IIRC something like
>
> ext_if="tun0"
>
> block in on $(ext_if) from ... to $(ext_if)
>
> or something like this
>
> I've only used this on openbsd, but I think it is ported over..

I do use that. But at least in some of the rules, it turns that into an
address.

Pierre
--
li ze te'a ci vu'u ci bi'e te'a mu du