Trick: How to get i386-only software via dports

Gavin Reade greadey at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 05:54:22 PDT 2013

Well here is a tricky one - i'm running i386 DFly 3.4 on a P4 (i586) - as
reported by dmesg.  Sysinfo reports an i386 proceesor, but I am using
dports right from the beginning of the install. I've had no trouble
installing dports on this machine  (not that i've gone mad but - in terms
of a desktop which is what I'm trying to achieve - everything seems Ok so
far).  All I've ever done is pkg install [whatever] and it has worked.
 Funnily enough when I first installed the OS I could not install anything
with pkgsrc since it kept complaining that the software was built for 3.3
not 3.4 (I didn't check the repository date mind you!).
Anyway as far as dports is concerned I've had no problems.