[DPorts] The only packages available are for DragonFly 3.4

Justin Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Jul 23 20:46:51 PDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM, John Marino <dragonflybsd at marino.st> wrote:
> On 7/23/2013 16:36, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>> How will people know to install that library?
>>

> This affects bleeding-edge users only.
> I think using a snapshop of DragonFly 3.5 comes with the expectation of
> things like this.  How will they know?  This thread.  Anyone can point
> them back to it.

Based on my experience with pkgsrc and DragonFly release and current
versions, most of the time packages built for release will work on
current - I think it was DragonFly 2.2 or so that we last had a
significant ABI change that disrupted packages.  I'm optimistic that
the release packages will be usable for bleeding-edge users most of
the time.

It's worth documenting both the caveat that 'native' packages aren't
built for bleeding-edge and the method to grab release, probably on
the dports page on the website and... in the dports manpage?  In the
dports gitweb site FAQ?  I'm trying to think of the best coverage.

I really like the 'it just works' nature of using pkg, and I'd like to
take advantage of it whenever possible.  I don't think poudriere
builds incrementally yet, but when it does, a repeating build for the
current version of DragonFly may be possible.