Beginners questions

Cassandra von Ahrcanburg proudmouse at tlink.de
Fri Dec 6 07:54:11 PST 2013

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 17:36:41 -0500
Justin Sherrill <justin at shiningsilence.com> wrote:

> > Graphics board
> What Marino said - AMD or Intel are your best bet, though support is
> experimental right now.  If the accelerated support doesn't work,
> you're back to VESA, which isn't great but it's something.  Desktop
> support isn't a particular focus in DragonFly.

In my opinion, that is actually a little sad and possibly part of the
problem. Part of my goal here is to choose a BSD with which I can be
happy on both the desktop and the server. Maintaining two different
systems is a pain I don't really care for. I know that desktop-support
isn't a lot of fun due to all those rather bitchy hardware vendors, but
I believe it will be worth it in the long run. Considering everything
that DFly can do, it would really rock in the desktop. While all those
flavours of Unix put together still dominate the servers, the Desktop
is being left to Mickysoft almost without resistance.

Ok, this is more a philosophical discussion and while interesting,
probably not something that belongs here. :-)

Back to the graphics board... :-D

The current (Rx 200) cards aren't supported by the open source driver
yet - indeed, they are marked as "not working". I don't know if for
this reason, but cards of the previous generation have gone up in
price dramatically and are hard to come by. If I get an AMD, it will be
one of the newer ones. That would mean VESA, I guess.

Regards,
Cassi